Friday, January 29, 2010

Ballast Bank

I was back briefly in Ayrshire last weekend and had a search for Tree Sparrows as well as the recent Barnacle Geese following the Pink-foot/Greylag flock. Fail Mill near Tarbolton had at least 17 Tree Sparrows and 33 Yellowhammers. Checking for waders and wildfowl at Pow Burn and Barassie didn't turn up much but 55 Knot were later located at Troon - a good count for Ayrshire at this time of year. The Ballast Bank held a nice collection of waders where I later made these long exposures below: Purple Sandpiper (12), Knot (22), Golden Plover (32), Turnstone (21), Ringed Plover (4) and Dunlin (3).



4 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Very atmospheric photo's fraser, looks a bit chilly though.

Nice waders seen today, I rarely see any on my landlocked patch!

Forthvalley scribe said...

I'm building a website about artistic(and other) responses to the environment and wondered if I could possibly -please -use some of your gorgeous bird photos - the herons last year were spectacular! The idea is that I would post some images with your name and details and a link to your blog so people could see more and maybe contact you. What do you think? You can contact me via either burnedthumb or luchairblog

Fraser Simpson said...

Hi Elizabeth

Sure, sounds interesting. You can download a few from this blog.

Forthvalley scribe said...

Thanks Fraser - I linked to your heron pictures on facebook and everybody loved them, so I hope you will get some good feedback from this. The site is going live on February 17th - I'll let you know when it happens