Monday, June 21, 2010

Otters in Strathardle

Writing a blog reminds you just how quickly time passes, particularly when posting on an annual event. I was in Perthshire again for a field course based at Kindrogan FSC field centre at Enochdhu last week and finally I saw some Otters (following Scottish Wildcat last year, and Pine Marten the previous year... or was it 2007?). I'm usually up in the woodland for several mornings of the dawn chorus which start around 0300h in the second week of June here, but one morning I was along the River Ardle and chanced upon these fine aquatic mammals. Other highlights included a Quail singing at 0307h on the 15th along with Osprey, Ring Ouzel, Dipper, Redstart, Crossbill and Mountain Hare. A short trip report summarising birds found over the week can be found on the main website here:
www.fssbirding.org.uk/kindrogantrip2010.htm













3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Stunning scenery Fraser, worth getting out at 3am for :-)

Dale Forbes said...

some great shots, Fraser. I have yet to really "get it" with landscape photography. I have got a loooot to learn before I start producing anything half decent...

Fraser Simpson said...

Thanks Warren, Dale.