Sunday, March 08, 2009

Red Kite over North London

Heading into the city this morning, I was just about to board the tube at Hendon Central when I heard a commotion of crows in the air above. There against a deep blue spring sky was a cracking Red Kite lazily flapping its way northeast while trying to ignore the attacks of four Carrion Crows. Instantly it felt like I had been suddenly transported miles away to some distant wooded glen or valley...a minute later and the kite was out of sight and I realised those hills in my peripheral vision were the same ugly buildings I see everyday. Still its not a bad station… Jay and Great Spotted Woodpecker can often enliven any morning delays but I think in future I’ll be watching the skies!

6 comments:

Warren Baker said...

A special bird Fraser. What a start to the mundane day!

Anonymous said...

I bet you wish you had a camera with you.

Fraser Simpson said...

I had a camera with me, just completely the wrong lens - an ultra wide-angle!

ringo37 said...

Hi Fraser. I'm writing a piece on urban red kites for Bird Watching magazine. Would you mind if I referenced your post in my article?

Cheers,
Richard
richardsmyth100@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

There was one soaring over Hendon Park yesterday. Pretty surreal when I think that as a kid growing up in Hendon the thought of seeing one was something I could only imagine. Seen hundreds since, but this one really felt weird!

Fraser Simpson said...

Great sighting Laurence, and its even better when you've dreamed for years of seeing a bird (and not necessarily a rare one) on home turf.